If you have dared to create videos for social networks, you will have noticed that this generates two problems: One, storage, since videos are usually quite heavy. And the second, that uploading them to the network sometimes takes forever.
This can be solved by compressing the videos. And in this post, I am going to tell you about a free tool to compress videos to the appropriate format to publish them online on YouTube, Vimeo, Instagram, or any other format.
This more than just when compressing heavy videos. When recording and editing the videos you should take into account the format of the social network to which you will upload them.
Read here on how to record and edit videos for YouTube or Instagram.
The right video format for YouTube
- The format for youtube videos recommends that it be.MPG or.MP4.
- For MPEG-4 (.MP4) format
- Video compression is recommended to be with the H264 codec. Also, you should not worry, because the free tool that I tell you later takes care of everything.
- AAC Audio Codec.
- Frames: They can be 24, 25, or 30. But the idea is that you leave it as is the format in the video recording.
- Aspect ratio: In YouTube videos, this is not a problem. You can upload videos with any dimensions, and YouTube will be in charge of adding some stripes to cover the remaining space of the player if any.
- The recommended video size is 1920 × 1080 pixels for the highest quality. If you are going to upload public videos, they recommend a minimum of 1280 × 720 for a 16: 9 ratio and 640 × 480 for 4: 3.
- There is a minimum of 33 seconds, not including black screens or still images (not animated).
This same format can also be used on Vimeo.
Format for YouTube videos: Summarized
To get to the point, if you don’t control all of this, it really is simple. Record with your webcam and microphone, with your camera or on your mobile. The format will almost certainly be appropriate. And then compress the video before uploading it to YouTube. Ready!
Uploading Videos to YouTube: Video and Audio Quality Notice
Like when uploading a video to YouTube, a message appeared that said the following:
“If you encode your videos in a file format that is easier to transmit, we will process them much faster. For more information, go to the Help Center. »
This message is usually due to the fact that you are uploading a video with an extension that was not recommended or because it is not compressed.
Video format for Instagram
For Instagram there are several options to upload videos:
- Videos for Feed: Dimensions of 1080 × 1080 pixels are recommended.
- Videos for IGTV: Here a ratio of 9:16 is used, dimensions of at least 720 × 1280 and recommended 1080 × 1920 are recommended for better quality.
- To upload to Stories would be the same dimensions as for IGTV.
Instagram has no special recommendations on encoding or compression, but the loading time is really slow if you don’t pre-compress the videos.
Free video compression software
Well, as I told you, the idea is to compress the video files. For this, it is necessary to reduce the size of the video without losing much quality. That is, maintaining the resolution and using compression codecs.
For this, there are online applications to compress videos … But this is not ideal, because it would imply having to upload the video to the web.
I use this free app called Handbrake, which you can install on your computer from your website. The fact of using an application installed on your PC to compress the videos will make the process faster since you don’t need to upload them. (Precisely, one of the reasons for compressing is to reduce the upload time of the video … If you have to upload it to another page to compress them, it loses some sense).
In the following video I explain how it works (you will see that it is quite simple) and in the end I will tell you how to configure it for more agile compression of videos.
Convert videos to mp4
You can also use Handbrake to convert videos. For example, if you have recorded a video in OBS in flv format, this application allows you to convert from flv to mp4.
App to compress videos on mobile
In the event that you need to compress videos from your smartphone, you also have some APPs that allow it.
Why should you compress the videos?
As you can see, there are many reasons to compress video files, such as:
- Reduce the space used on your hard drive or your mobile.
- To be able to make backup copies in your storage without taking up so much.
- Reduce the upload time of videos to social networks such as YouTube or Instagram
- Also on Vimeo, if you have a plan with a weekly upload limit, you can upload more videos.
So I hope you found it useful. And if you have any questions, you can leave it in the comments.